Monday, March 26, 2007

The Decrees of God - Second Thoughts

I posted this quote by A. W. Pink's book, The Attributes of God, earlier today:

"God did not merely decree to make man, place him upon the earth, and then leave him to his own uncontrolled guidance; instead, He fixed all the circumstances in the lot of individuals, and all the particulars which will comprise the history of the human race from its commencement to its close."

The words, "He fixed all the circumstances in the lot of individuals" are what caused me to think about my salvation. It was God who chose me (John 15:16), drew me to Himself (John 6:44), enabled me to believe by giving me a new heart (Ezekiel 36:26), and who gave me the faith to believe (Ephesians 2:8-9). There was nothing in me that caused God to save me, He saved me because of His great mercy and grace. I am grateful to God for plucking me out of the pit I was in, from my dead, lost state (Ephesians 2), and saving my soul. He was not obligated to save me, nor to save anyone else. But, the wonder of it all is that He did just that because of His mercy and grace.

On the other hand, if I were to say that I chose Christ, on whom would the gratefulness be placed? On God? Or, would the gratefulness go to myself for having made the right decision? It would seem like I would be grateful to myself because I was the one who made the decision to pluck myself out of that dead, lost state.

Just some food for thought there. I'm still not sure if I communicated that with what I'm trying to get across, but I do hope it makes us think.