Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Decrees of God - Part Two

This morning I finished Chapter 2, in A. W. Pink's book, The Attributes of God. This is a short book with only 92 pages, and it's taking me a long time to read. I hate to think how long it's going to take me to read Stephen Charnock's book, The Existence and Attributes of God, which has 524 pages. It's a good thing I started Pink's book first, I may not have gotten to it otherwise.

"Second, the decrees of God are wise. Wisdom is shown in the selection of the best possible ends and of the fittest means of accomplishing them. That this character belongs to the decrees of God is evident from what we know of them. They are disclosed to us by their execution, and every proof of wisdom in the works of God is a proof of the wisdom of the plan, in conformity to which they are performed. As the Psalmist declared, "O Lord, how manifold are Thy works! in wisdom hast Thou made them all" (Ps. 104:24). It is indeed but a very small part of them which falls under our observation, yet, we ought to proceed here as we do in other cases, and judge of the whole by the specimen, of what is unknown, by what is known. He who perceives the workings of admirable skill in the parts of a machine which he has an opportunity to examine, is naturally led to believe that the other parts are equally admirable. In like manner should we satisfy our minds as to God’s works when doubts obtrude themselves upon us, and repel the objections which may be suggested by something which we cannot reconcile to our notions of what is good and wise. When we reach the bounds of the finite and gaze toward the mysterious realm of the infinite, let us exclaim. "O the depth of the riches! both of the wisdom and knowledge of God" (Rom. 11:33)."

What struck me the most was this part:

"In like manner should we satisfy our minds as to God’s works when doubts obtrude themselves upon us, and repel the objections which may be suggested by something which we cannot reconcile to our notions of what is good and wise. When we reach the bounds of the finite and gaze toward the mysterious realm of the infinite, let us exclaim. "O the depth of the riches! both of the wisdom and knowledge of God" (Rom. 11:33)."

There are certain times of the month when my hormones seem to be out of whack. As a result, my soul feels heavy at times, for no apparent reason other than hormonal. For many years I gave into my feelings, and was pretty miserable during those times, which didn't make for very enjoyable times.

Nearly two years ago I learned of Nouthetic Counseling, but knew little about it until I took the Introduction to Biblical Counseling class at church about six months ago. Through that course, and through different reading materials, I became aware that following my feelings was a sin. Since then, I've been making the attempt to change that part of myself.

The class, and the books, have taught me to trust in God, and trust His Word, versus what I may be feeling inside. God is good, and wise, and His character is such that He is the same, yesterday, today, and forever. On the other hand, my feelings are unreliable. And it is to His Word that I run to when I have those downcast feelings, or am irritable. I run to Him in prayer, and to the Scriptures. Regardless of how I may be feeling at any given moment, it is always right to praise Him, because He is worthy to be praised. Praising Him doesn't require me waiting until I *feel* like it, I am to praise Him because He is worthy, and deserves all praise.

Psalm 147:1 Praise the LORD! For it is good to sing praises to our God; for it is pleasant, and a song of praise is fitting.

Psalm 147:2 The LORD builds up Jerusalem; he gathers the outcasts of Israel.

Psalm 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

Psalm 147:4 He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names.

Psalm 147:5 Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure.

Psalm 147:6 The LORD lifts up the humble; he casts the wicked to the ground.

Psalm 147:7 Sing to the LORD with thanksgiving; make melody to our God on the lyre!

Psalm 147:8 He covers the heavens with clouds; he prepares rain for the earth; he makes grass grow on the hills.

Psalm 147:9 He gives to the beasts their food, and to the young ravens that cry.

Psalm 147:10 His delight is not in the strength of the horse, nor his pleasure in the legs of a man,

Psalm 147:11 but the LORD takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love.

Psalm 147:12 Praise the LORD, O Jerusalem! Praise your God, O Zion!

Psalm 147:13 For he strengthens the bars of your gates; he blesses your children within you.

Psalm 147:14 He makes peace in your borders; he fills you with the finest of the wheat.

Psalm 147:15 He sends out his command to the earth; his word runs swiftly.

Psalm 147:16 He gives snow like wool; he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.

Psalm 147:17 He hurls down his crystals of ice like crumbs; who can stand before his cold?

Psalm 147:18 He sends out his word, and melts them; he makes his wind blow and the waters flow.

Psalm 147:19 He declares his word to Jacob, his statutes and rules to Israel.

Psalm 147:20 He has not dealt thus with any other nation; they do not know his rules. Praise the LORD!

There are so many Scriptures that are full of praise. My youngest daughter and I love to sing the old hymns. Lately, whenever I might have that heaviness in my soul, I pull out my hymn book and begin singing. After a few songs, my heart is lifted up.