Wednesday, February 21, 2007

More Thoughts on Trials

Until recently, I never understood the verses in the Bible that talked about suffering, and trials. I still don't understand it all completely, and I probably won't until I get to Heaven, but I have a better grasp of it now than I did before.

About ten years ago we were members of, and attended regularly, an Assemblies of God church. During that time I did a lot of praying, and searching the Scriptures. The Lord did bring us out of there, and I have since learned to how to pray in a way that honors God. I also wasn't searching the Scriptures to learn about God, but rather I was searching them to get my needs met. I highlighted many verses that I believed were promises that specific prayers would be answered in a favorable way, as in my way. I won't post the verses, but there were many from Isaiah, as well as Jeremiah, and the Psalms.

When I didn't see those favorable results, and the trial continued year after year, I began to get discouraged. I began to doubt God, believing that He was not going to answer my prayers. He is answering them, but in a very different way than I originally had believed He would.

I've been reading James 1, and 1st Peter lately. Look at these verses in 1st Peter 1.

1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who reside as aliens, scattered
throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who are chosen

2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the
Spirit to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace
be yours in the fullest measure.

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His
great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the
resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

4 to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you.

5 who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

6 In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials,

7 so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

8 and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,

9 obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.

What I am beginning to understand now is that God has been answering my prayers from so long ago, just not in the way that I thought He would. He had, and still has, a higher purpose for them.

I can rejoice knowing that the proof of my faith, which is more precious than gold that perishes, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor. And when will that be? As it says in verse 7, at the revelation, or the appearing of Jesus Christ.

Soli Deo Gloria