Monday, February 19, 2007

Why should we make it our aim to please Him?

Yesterday in my Biblical Education class we discussed 2 Corinthians 5:9-10. It really made me think about the reasons why I try to make it my aim to please God. In case you don't know what the verses say, here they are:

2 Corinthians 5:9 Therefore we also have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him.

2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

I had to think again about what it is that motivates me to please Him. Do I make it my aim to please God because I love Him, and am grateful for what Jesus did for me? Or, do I try to please Him because of the benefits that might come as a result of my obedience?

Suppose your trials come in the form of needing a physical healing, and you aren't healed. If your motivation for pleasing Him were for the benefits you would receive, a complete physical healing, you might possibly get discouraged if you don't see the results of that physical healing. You could lose hope, and become angry with God for not healing you when you believe you have done all the right things. You might think you have a right to be healed. So, if your motivation is for the benefits you will receive, that would be a wrong motive.

Our motivation to serve Him, and to be pleasing to Him, should be out of love for Him, and because we are commanded to. Our motivation should not be for what we can get out of when we do love and serve Him. All that we do should be done for the glory of God.

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Colossians 3:17 Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.

What about you? What motivates you to do the things that you do?