Friday, February 23, 2007

Anchors Aweigh

We have had a very busy day today. We made a trip to Walmart to replace one daughter's broken glasses, and a trip to the library.

This evening my husband and oldest daughter went to Winter Jam, while our younger daughter and I stayed home, and had a lot of fun together. We baked brownies, sat outside in the beautiful weather, played dolls, ate pizza, and read a little bit of poetry together.

My younger daughter and I love poetry, and I read to her this lullaby poem bye Eugene Field.

This poem touched my heart because I'm the daughter of a man I was very proud of, who served in the Navy, and was himself a sailor at one time. He didn't see me until I was five months old because he was serving overseas at the time. Maybe it's nostalgia, but tonight my daughter and I listened to the Anchors Aweigh song. Before I post the poem, I am posting the lyrics to Anchors Aweigh, plus a link found here, that provided music to go along with the song.

Anchors Aweigh

Stand Navy down the field, sails set to the sky.
We'll never change our course, so Army you steer shy-y-y-y.
Roll up the score, Navy, Anchors Aweigh.
Sail Navy down the field and sink the Army, sink the Army Grey.

Get underway, Navy, decks cleared for the fray,
We'll hoist true Navy Blue o Army down your Grey-y-y-y.
Full speed ahead, Navy; Army heave to,
Furl Black and Grey and Gold and hoist the Navy, hoist the Navy
Blue

Blue of the Seven Seas; gold of God's great sun
Let these our colors be till all of time be done-n-n-ne,
By Severn shore we learn Navy's stern call:
Faith, courage, service true, with honor over, honor over all.

My father passed away on November 13, 1998, and I miss him so much. Because my mother passed away in 1991, the passing of my father left my brothers and I adult orphans. Sadly, I don't know whether he, or my mother, were saved or not. I do pray that one day I will see them in Heaven.

So in keeping with Rebecca's children's poetry month for the month of February, here is the song that so touched my heart tonight.

Swing High and Swing Low

Swing high and swing low
While the breezes they blow----
It's off for a sailor they father would go;
And it's here in the harbor, in sight of the sea,
He hath left his wee babe with my song and with me;
"Swing high and swing low

While the breezes they blow!"

Swing high and swing low
While the breezes they blow____
It's oh for the waiting as weary days go!
And it's oh for the heartache that smiteth me when
I sing my song over and over again:
"Swing high and swing low

While the breezes they blow!"

"Swing high and swing low----
The sea singeth so,
And it waileth anon in its ebb and its flow;
And a sleeper sleeps on to that song of the sea
Nor recketh he ever of mine or of me!
"Swing high and swing low

While the breezes they blow----
'Twas off for a sailor they father would go!"

This poem was from The Classic Treasury of Best-Loved Children's Poems, which I bought here.

If by chance a veteran, or a member of the Armed Forces reads this post, I want to thank you for the job you are doing. I want to thank you for making the sacrifices you are making for our country. You are putting your lives on the line for us here in America.

What some people fail to realize is that the families of those in the Armed Forces make sacrifices too. There are mothers left behind, who are raising children alone, holding down the fort on the home front while their husbands are out fighting for our freedoms, and to you, I want to say thank you as well.