Monday, January 29, 2007

Motivation - Why Do We Do the Things We Do?

I read something on a discussion list today, and someone was talking about weight loss. This woman said she struggled with losing weight until she came to the point where she wanted to lose the weight so that she would be living when she has grandchildren. I've heard others say that same thing before, and today it made me think. What should our motivation be for the things that we do?

I've written about this once before, in talking about what our aim in life should be. It's so easy to forget that the reason we do anything is to glorify God.

Col 3:17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

1Co 10:31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

My posts have been on this topic lately because it's what I've been meditating on lately. I hope they will cause others to ask themselves what drives them, or what motivates them to do the things they do.

A few days ago, I was explaining something about sin to my children. I made a Y, and in the middle of that Y, I put a circle that stood for their decisions, or choices. On the left side, I put GOD, and on the right side, I put SELF. I explained that every day we make choices, and with each choice we have to make, we choose whether we're going worship God with our choice, or worship ourselves. We have sinful habits in our lives that we need to break, that we need to put off, and replace them with biblical ways of doing whatever bad habit we have. It's easy to sin, it seems so natural to our flesh, but each time, it gets harder and harder because the way of a trangressor is hard.

Pro 13:15 Good understanding giveth favor: but the way of transgressors is hard.

On the other hand, if we choose to obey God in our choices, it's hard at first, but it gets easier and easier each time we do. It will never be easy, but it will get easier.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

I will leave you with this though, something that I've heard a pastor say. Sin will take you farther than you wanted to go, and keep you longer than you wanted to stay.