Friday, January 26, 2007

Some thoughts

I finished chapter two this morning from the book, Idols of the Heart, by Elyse Fitzpatrick. I am reading slowly so that I can grasp the truths and retain them. I've already addressed a little of what the chapter was about in an earlier post here.

The next chapter will be focusing on the Ten Commandments. I've read a little bit of the first chapter, and like the previous two chapters, it looks like another good chapter.

Rom 15:4 For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

The above verse tells us that everything written in the Scriptures, all of the stories, good and bad, were written so that we would learn from them, as well as to encourage us, and give us hope. The Bible isn't a boring Book, as I have heard some people say. According to Hebrews 4:12, it is living, and active, and sharper than a two-edged sword:

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

That, my friends, is powerful.

The Scriptures also say this:

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

What is it that we are feeding ourselves with today? Are we feeding ourselves with the very words of God?

Mat 4:4 But he answered, "It is written, "'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God."

Take a look at some verses from Psalm 119:

Psa 119:9 Beth. How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.

Psa 119:11 I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Psa 119:15 I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.

Psa 119:16 I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.

Psa 119:18 Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.

Those are just a few verses that show the importance of reading, and studying the Scriptures. What importance do you place on reading, and studying the Scriptures? At the end of the day, what have you filled your mind with? The television, or the computer, or some other form of entertainment? Or, like Martha has your focus been on your work, and have been so busy you forgot to read the Scriptures?

Let us be people of the Book, the Holy Bible, that is able to make us wise unto salvation.

2Ti 3:14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it

2Ti 3:15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.