Wednesday, March 7, 2007

A Covenant Keeping God

I woke up this morning feeling anxious, with no good reason, though there really never is a good reason to be anxious. Lydia, over at the Purpler Cellar, had an excellent post today on Philippians 4:5-7, which were the verses I turned to this morning. I won't comment on that because she had a wonderful post on it. And I wanted to post on something else that had caught my attention. In case you are not familiar with that passage, this is what it says:

Philippians 4:5-7

5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand;

6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

7
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I have several verses highlighted in my Bible, and this morning I came across the below verses. I have only verse 12 highlighted (until this evening when I plan to highlight verse 13).

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Hebrews 4:13
And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

What particularly caught my attention was verse 13. NO creature is hidden from God's sight, none of us, not one. This includes believers, AND non-believers. I knew that God is omniscient, and here is the definition of that word from Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry:
om·ni·scient Listen to the pronunciation of omniscient
Pronunciation:
\-shənt\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
New Latin omniscient-, omnisciens, back-formation from Medieval Latin omniscientia
Date:
circa 1604
1 : having infinite awareness, understanding, and insight 2 : possessed of universal or complete knowledge

Even though I had known that already, it just seemed to hit me this morning full force. I am naked and exposed before God, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. He sees everything I do, the good and the bad. I find that to be a sobering thought. It has caused me to fear God in a way that I may not have ever done.

Even though He sees everything I do, the amazing thing is that He still loves me. His love for me is not based on what I do, or what I don't do. His love for me is based on His covenant, and that He is a faithful, covenant keeping God.

What a mighty God we serve.